How do you build a wooden ship model?
Contrary to popular belief, a wooden ship model can be built. There are even steps to follow. Find out what they are.
Everything you need to know to build a wooden model boat
How do you build a wooden model boat?
Building a wooden ship model requires patience and steady hands. You also need to proceed in stages. But above all, you need to have all the tools at hand before you start.
What tools are needed to assemble a wooden model?
Building model boats is a hobby, but it's also manual work. So you need a minimum set of tools to make it a success. When buying a model sailing boat, wooden submarine or any other type of model, it's best to opt for a model with construction kits. If this is not possible, it is advisable to assemble the following tools and materials:
● Tube or nozzle model glue ;
● Model paint ;
● Cutter for cutting out ;
● Brushes of various sizes for painting the boat ;
● Adhesive tape;
● Tweezers and clothes pegs.
What are the steps involved in building a wooden ship model ?
As mentioned, building a wooden ship model is a job that requires patience and precision. You should avoid going too fast at the risk of breaking parts.
● 1. First, study and memorise the wooden model boat plan and instructions before starting.
● 2. Next, arrange all the parts on the work surface.
● 3. As soon as this is done, it is necessary to repair the parts to be painted. It is advisable to carry out the painting before assembly so that it is easier to do.
● 4. Once this is done, wait for all the parts to dry properly.
● 5. When everything is dry, it is essential to reread the instructions one last time and make the cuts according to the instructions.
● 6. Finally, all that's left is to carefully assemble all the parts using the glue for wooden model boats.
How to ensure successful construction?
To ensure a successful model ship build, you first need to choose the type:
● Wooden warship ;
● Wooden fishing boat ;
● Wooden pirate ship ;
● Wooden cruise ship ;
● Wooden sailing boat ;
● Wooden racing boat;
● Wooden military boat.
Next, it is necessary to provide a clear, non-essential work surface. Bear in mind that a model under construction cannot be moved. This area is likely to be unusable until the model is finished. So it's important to place all the parts in front of you before you start, and to make sure that none are missing.
Once this is done, the work can begin. Depending on the level and difficulty of the assembly, it can take from a few days to a few months. A final word of advice for beginners: you should start with simple models with a small number of parts. If the model you choose is difficult to assemble, the operation could become tedious for some.