Who is Super Mario?
The Super Mario franchise is one of the most popular and iconic franchises in video game history. It began in 1985 with the release of Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). Since then, numerous games have been created featuring the famous moustachioed Italian plumber and his friends in imaginative and colourful worlds.
The Super Mario franchise was created by the famous Japanese video game developer, Shigeru Miyamoto. The character of Mario first appeared in 1981 in the game Donkey Kong, where he was called "Jumpman". However, it was with the release of Super Mario Bros. in 1985 that the character became a worldwide superstar.
In Super Mario Bros. players play as Mario and must rescue Princess Peach from the clutches of Bowser, the evil king of the Koopas. Since then, many games in the franchise have followed, such as Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario 3D World. Each game features Mario in a unique and exciting adventure, often accompanied by his brother Luigi, Princess Peach and other famous characters from the Mario universe, such as Yoshi, Toad and Baby Mario. The games are known for their smooth gameplay, lively music and cheerful aesthetics, and each new episode really brings the game to life. Many spin-off games have also been created, and they are just as popular: Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Mario Party and Paper Mario. The most famous moustachioed plumber is also the king of crossovers: he is regularly allied with Sonic, in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, but also with the Rabbids in Mario + The Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.
The Super Mario franchise has become a pop culture icon, appearing in movies, television shows and even theme parks in Japan. As of 2021, the franchise has sold over 650 million copies worldwide, making Super Mario one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time.
How do I choose Super Mario Bros. merchandise?
If you are a Super Mario Bros. fan and you want to buy merchandise, it is important to take into account certain criteria in order to make a wise choice. Here are some tips to help you choose your Super Mario Bros. merchandise:
- Choose officially licensed products: officially licensed products are designed and manufactured with the permission of the brand owner, thus guaranteeing the quality and authenticity of the products. At 1001Hobbies, no worries, all our products are officially licensed... And we can tell you that Nintendo is very keen on the quality of its products!
- Choose the right material: at 1001Hobbies, all the products we offer are of high quality, a guarantee that your purchases will last a long time. But you may have a preference for certain materials, like PVC or resin for example, when buying a figurine. The finish and details will also have an impact on the overall look - and therefore the price - of the figure. Make sure that all of this suits your requirements.
- Choose products that suit your tastes: there is a wide range of Super Mario Bros. merchandise available, such as figures, t-shirts, toys, car tracks, plush toys, mugs, lamps, board games, and much more. Choose products that match your tastes and interests. Check out the Labyrinth Super Mario board game, the 1000 piece Challenge puzzle from Ravensburger and the Mario Kart slot cars from Carrera to complete your collection.
- Define your budget: Super Mario Bros. merchandise is diverse, but prices can also vary greatly. We invite you to browse through our category to look at the prices before making your purchases. Please note that we have regular offers, so check back regularly!
By following these tips, you can choose quality Super Mario Bros. merchandise that suits your tastes and interests. Feel free to explore our range of products to find your next favourite!
The brands we offer are : Ravensburger, Tomy, Carrera, First 4 Figures, Heroes Inc, Simba, Paladone Products, Pyramid International, Bandai, Funko, GYE, Noble Collection, and many more.
Super Mario Bros. in all its forms
In addition to video games, the Super Mario Bros. franchise has also spawned a variety of cartoons, films, comics, etc.
Super Mario cartoons
The Super Mario cartoon is an American animated television series based on the Super Mario Bros. video game franchise produced by DIC Entertainment and first broadcast in 1989 (1990 in Europe). The series is divided into two parts: "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!" and "The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3".
- "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!" follows the adventures of Mario and Luigi, two Italian plumbers who are transported to the world of mushrooms and must rescue Princess Toadstool from the clutches of the evil King Koopa. Each episode is structured like a live-action television show, with live-action segments featuring actor Lou Albano as Mario and actor Danny Wells as Luigi, as well as animated segments from Super Mario Bros.
- "The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3", meanwhile, follows the adventures of Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool and Toad as they attempt to save the world from the mushrooms of King Koopa, who has stolen the magical scepters of the kings of the eight worlds. This series is more story-driven and action-oriented than the first.
The Super Mario cartoon became famous for its colourful characters, fun stories and unique animation style. The voices of the main characters were dubbed by famous professional actors.
Although the series has not been broadcast for a long time, it remains a classic for Super Mario Bros. fans and nostalgic fans of the 80s and 90s.
The Super Mario Bros. movies
Today there are two films based on the Super Mario Bros. licence. The first film, Super Mario Bros. dates from 1993 and is very loosely based on the Nintendo universe. It was directed by Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel. The film follows the adventures of Mario (played by Bob Hoskins) and Luigi (played by John Leguizamo) in a parallel universe called Dinohattan. Their mission is to rescue Princess Daisy (played by Samantha Mathis) from the clutches of the evil King Koopa (played by Dennis Hopper), who wants to conquer the real world by merging the two dimensions.
This first film received mixed reviews on its release and was not a great commercial success. However, it gained notoriety as a cult film of the 1990s among video game fans and science fiction film enthusiasts.
The second, an animated film entitled Super Mario Bros. released on 6 April 2023, is a much more faithful film adaptation of the famous video game. The pitch, while still classic ("A plumber named Mario travels an underground labyrinth with his brother, Luigi, trying to rescue a captured princess"), allows all ages and generations to enjoy this new version of the adventures of the most famous plumber. Directed by Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic, the film features guest appearances by Hollywood stars such as Chris Pratt (Mario), Anya Taylor-Joy (Princess Peach), Jack Black (Bowser) and Seth Rogen (Donkey Kong), among others. There are also several surprise cameos from Charles Martinet, the original voice of Mario!
Super Mario in manga
Mario and Luigi are coming to manga, accompanied by their most faithful companions, under the title Super Mario Kun! Freely inspired by the Super Mario universe, this series by SAWADA Yukio, composed of independent episodes, offers three visual gags on each page. Very much aimed at children, the manga adopts a humorous and caricatural tone which differs from the original vision of the characters and which will not suit everyone. Other comics inspired by Super Mario also exist:
- Super Mario Adventures comic: Published in 1992, Super Mario Adventures follows the adventures of Mario and Luigi as they attempt to rescue Princess Toadstool from the evil Bowser. The comic was published in Nintendo Power, a video game magazine published by Nintendo.
- Super Mario comic book series: Published in 1991, this comic book series follows the adventures of Mario, Luigi and Princess Toadstool as they attempt to save the Mushroom Kingdom from the evil Bowser. The series was published by Valiant Comics.
- Nintendo Adventure Books: Published in the 1990s, these interactive comic books feature Mario and other Nintendo characters, such as Link from The Legend of Zelda series. Readers are invited to choose their own adventure based on their decisions in the story.